Tuesday, August 19, 2008

One Beach, Many Faces


Finally made it back out again in Oregon on Saturday. It was really cool because my wife and el nino joined me (along with the rest of Portland). The air was incredibly warm, the waves were decent, and the water wasn't really that crowded. What I did realize is that after surfing in Mexico and sparingly in small surf before that, I'm really no longer in "Oregon surf shape."

Duckdove about 10 waves on the paddle out and got a crazy icecream headache (and I was wearing a 5 mil with hoodie). My arms burned like hell and my lungs screamed. It took like ten minutes to get the heart rate back down again so I could catch some waves. When I did finally snag a few, my pop-up was kind of off. I think I was still tired.

After spending about 2 hours at the south part of the cove, I went in and checked on the family. From the beach I could see that the north side was looking much cleaner and nobody was riding this one peak that was groomed by the offshore wind. I spent the next hour down there and had a much better time.

Afterward, a cool cat named Jed who I'd met at the Sissyfish Movie Night walked up and handed me the CD of his band, The Pink Widower. Check out "Let Me See" on the link. I'm digging it. Maybe an official Sissyfish music review to come?

Hopefully this weekend will give us some more gems with that hint of autumn. I've been doing push-ups and pull-ups all week to get ready.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waves in Oregon? Nah.

Jair Bortoleto said...

Hey man,
Love your blog...
Email me about an art show here in Brasil...
Cheers,
Jair

Anonymous said...

What a fucking zoo...

slidelines said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
slidelines said...

nice song made me think of small wave summer loggin

Jamie Welsh Watson said...

Sissyfish Movie Night!? Wish we could come to that, it sound like so much fun!