Monday, June 12, 2006

LA Daze



Some random shots of my recent LA trip. The guy above was playing music in front of the Roxy. I intended to dawn patrol with Whiffleboy or Patch the next morning, but they were calling for a 4:30 wake-up time in order to reach the 'Bu or Zeros by 5:00. I didn't get home until 3:30, so I pretty much blew my chance to hook up with the authors of "Confessions of a Novice Surfer" and "Patchies Hideout." Next time.

I did, however, make it to Venice by 9:00. The conditions actually looked fun (see below), so I pulled my parents' nice Volvo convertible into a parking space on Washington St. Just when I put my foot on the brake, a guy backed into the side of the car. Ding! Dang! By the time we exchanged insurance info (1 hr later), the wind picked up and the tide went out.

I still got a surf in, the lowlight of which was a large closeout that the other surfers hooted me into. I was too late on the drop and pearled, flying on my stomach down the face of the heaving wave. I could actually heared a few people on the pier go, "EEEEEEWWWW!" as I skipped along, before the whole thing ate me.






The Decemberists "Los Angeles, I'm Yours"

1 comment:

Diane said...

Glad you enjoyed your visit.