Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Couple Goofies



I got a chance to meet Gerry Lopez a few weeks ago and it was really cool. I enjoyed the talk he gave at the Patagonia store, especially the end of it, when a little girl in the audience asked him if he's ever drowned before. His response was classic:

"Just hold your breath. You'll always end up floating in the end..."

I also got my goofyfoot hero to give a shout out to Sissyfish. Not a bad endorsement. I just finished his book, Surf Is Where You Find It. It rules too.

3 comments:

David J. Hirsh said...

Although I have no connection to Lopez, to me he's one of the five seminal figures in surfing. I still can't get over his enigmatic move to Oregon. When I found out about this almost ten years ago, I called to order a board. His wife answered the phone and cautioned me it would take 11 months. I balked and called Bob Pearson instead. Just think, if I had had the patience, I'd have a pre-machine Lopez shape on my rack now!

David

Wave Farmer said...

How long are you gonna rest on your Gerry laurels?

I need sme surf related content...get going

Chum said...

Sorry there, gang...

Been traveling my ass off lately. Finally got a good surf in down here in Mexico. News at 11...