Sunday, May 18, 2008
All this talk about working (or not working), combined with watching the Chopes contest last week, got me daydreaming about how cool it be to be sponsored to surf. I also just read Matt Archibald’s wild tale of being offered a boatload of money by Gotcha when he was in his teens just to put their sticker on his board and wear their clothes. Of course, he had incredible talent and had to perform regularly to maintain his standing with the brand, but the concept of being paid/given free gear to represent a company got me thinking: What five companies would I want to be sponsored* by if I could choose? Granted, this exercise does require some suspension of disbelief considering the level of my surf skillz, but you get the idea...
1. Apple – Basically, they have everything from computers to big screens to a bottomless supply of music. Pretty much a given.
2. Swift Movement – A great stable of shapers that would give me way more variety than I’d know what to do with.
3. Patagonia – I wore one pair of Minimalist II trunks the whole time I was in Mexico a couple weeks ago. Amazing surfwear, wetsuits that will improve with time, and even more surfboards, should Swift miss something I need in the quiver.
4. Travelocity – First class air travel? Check. Five-star lodging in far-flung destinations? Check.
5. Volvo – They’re doing some cool things with alternative fuels in Europe, their cars are safe, and it’s one of the coolest logos in the world.
Which five would you pick?
*Incidentally, any offers by companies interested in sponsoring Sissyfish will be entertained… Got plenty of room for banners here and on the wide decks of my shred-sleds. :-)