Saturday, February 21, 2009

I CAN'T GET THAT SOUND YOU MAKE OUT OF MY HEAD.

Nature writer T.H. Watkins perfectly describes "that sound" in a recollection of his childhood bodysurfing experiences near Dana Point in the late-1940s:

The lip of the wave curved over my head, and for one brief instant I found myself in a long, green translucent tunnel that stretched 40 or 50 feet on either side of me. That moment was when I heard the Sound, a high, hollow, almost metallic keening that cut through the outside roar of the surf until it was all that could be heard. It seemed to come from a great distance, like a cry out of the ancestral night, then swept over me and moved on just as the wave seized my helpless body and plunged it through the water and into the sand… . When I finally surfaced I was certain I had been privileged to experience one of the essential mysteries… . I remain as convinced today as I was then that I had heard nothing less than the voice of the sea itself.”

(Excerpt taken from Saturday's LA Times front page article on a certain Pacific Northwest mysto slab that's been getting tons of ink lately.)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds as though you recognize the spot, unidentified as it was. I understand there is much angst over such secrets. BTW the pictures are on their way.
Mary Alice

Unknown said...

Like your art and musical taste...
thought I would introduce myself.
My name is Vince.
Here is my web site
http://vincesullivan.com/vs/
I often surf Seaside point.
this weekend is looking good for a seaside session.

hope to hear from you soon.
-Vince

Anonymous said...

namers and claimers eventually get owned

Anonymous said...

trolls and guys with moles always get rolled.

Anonymous said...

Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,Seaside point,

Anonymous said...

We’re Featuring Your Blog On ActionSportsBlips.com

Hi There,

ActionSportsBlips.com captures the latest news, features, and video across the Web for a community of enthusiasts and professionals. We'd like to automatically include your posts in our story index and increase your traffic. Just click here to claim your blog: http://actionsportsblips.dailyradar.com/blog/sissyfish/

The benefits:

* Blog posts can be automatically submitted for homepage consideration
* Boost your search engine ranking with additional inbound links

Thanks for joining us.

- Marny Bassett

If you have questions about the blog-claiming process or ideas for additional traffic-building tools, we’d love to hear from you.